The Data We Collect
Once you successfully complete a course of study at Canterbury Christ Church University, you become one of our former students (even if you are going on to further study at the University).
The following data about you is transferred from the University’s student records system to a specialist database called Raiser's Edge:
- your contact details (address, email and telephone where known).
- your title and full names. We also any previous marital names and date of birth as we need these to help identify you definitively.
- the qualification you obtained.
The University will also record within Raisers Edge any basic details about your employment history (your job titles and employers) that you give to us. This is not transferred from the University’s student record system.
We also record your mailing preferences, details of any voluntary support you have given to the University (for example helping at Open Days, providing a testimonial, or interviewing students). We track your attendance at any University reunion events.
The University will also obtain and store information about you from third party emailing systems to help us understand which communications are relevant to you. This includes tracking whether you have opened the emails we have sent to you and which links you click on.
From time to time, alumni may send us photographic images of group cohorts for us to use in publicity material for alumni events or reunions. The University also captures and stores photographs of alumni at the events and reunions that it organises. These are stored in files on the University’s secure computer network.
Why Do We Keep and How Do We Use Your Data?
Your data is held by the University securely and used in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 as amended.
1 Legal Requirement
If you are qualifying from a degree level programme, the University has a statutory obligation to retain your data for 15 months after you qualify in order to supply this information to Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). HESA conduct a nationwide survey on behalf of Government to find out the employment destinations of all university leavers. Read about the way in which HESA processes your data in its collection notice.
2 Essential Administration
It is necessary for the University to keep your data in order to respond to requests and instructions, made by you or with your agreement, with regards to:
- confirming that you studied at the University
- providing you with references for work or further study
- providing you with duplicate transcripts
3 Legitimate Interest
The University keeps your data in order to pursue its legitimate purpose of maintaining contact with its former students. Specifically, your contact details may be used either by central departments within the University and/or the subject School/Department in which you studied, for the purposes of sending you any of the following, either by hardcopy post or electronic means (email, text/SMS, apps or social media):
- alumni magazines/newsletters
- personalised invitations to specific events
- information about:
- University events open to the general public
- new courses which may be of interest to you
- job vacancies that may be of interest to you
- opportunities to support the University in a range of voluntary activities
- discounts on postgraduate study and other services and benefits exclusively available to former students of CCCU.
Who Will Use Your Data
Technical maintenance of the Raisers Edge database that holds your details sits under the University’s IT Department. The Alumni Relations Team have day-to-day management of information held within Raisers Edge. However, staff from any part of the University may be given access to your data for the legitimate and efficient pursuit of the purposes specified above.
Keeping Your Details Up to Date and Opting Out
You can advise of a change to your contact details, or opt out of receiving communications from us at any time by:
- using our online update form
- by letter (addressed to the Alumni Relations Team, Canterbury Christ Church University, North Holmes Road, CT1 1QU)
- by email to email@example.com.
Updates to your contact details will be processed on the Raiser's Edge database as quickly as possible and by no later than 1 month after receipt.
The opportunity to opt out of future communications will be offered to you every time a mailing is sent to you.
How Long Will We Hold Your Data
If you have completed a degree level programme, the University has a statutory requirement to hold your data for 15 months after you qualify. Thereafter (or if you have studied at sub-degree level), unless you ask us to remove it, or we are advised of your decease, the University will hold your data indefinitely.
You have the right to:
- opt out of receiving particular types of communications from us (see Keeping Your Details Up to Date and Opting Out above).
- have your personal details removed from your record on Raiser’s Edge.
- be told what information we hold about you.
- object to the use of your data for any of the above purposes.
Any queries regarding the information above, or a request to access the data we hold about you, can be directed should be directed in the first instance to the Alumni Relations Team.
Any concerns or complaints about use of your data can be made to the University’s Information Governance Manager