You are here: 
Home > Study here > Undergraduate > Entry requirements

Entry requirements

Canterbury Christ Church University welcomes applications from anyone interested in full or part-time study. Applications are considered individually and we take into account academic qualifications as well as your personal statement and references.

The list below shows typical offers for a number of the most popular qualifications.

Please contact our Student Recruitment and Admissions team| if eligibility for qualifications are not listed below.

Please note that O-Levels sat in, or after, summer 1975 must be at grade C or above. CSE grade 1 is accepted as equivalent to GCSE at grade C.

Generally, offers will be made in terms of grades up to a certain number of UCAS tariff points. For example, a typical offer would be 240 UCAS tariff points including three A2 Levels, or AVCEs, at grade C or above. Some degree programmes require a specific A2 Level subject and entry requirements can differ between programmes. Please check individual subject entries for specific requirements. Where an applicant is taking a combination of qualifications this may be reflected in an offer.

Grades declared following modular examinations for AS Levels at the end of Year 12 will assist us in framing conditional offers, but students taking linear assessment, who will not know their grades until Year 13, will not be discriminated against. The University does not intend to use unit grade information.

The University will not normally make offers for a place on degree programmes based on AS qualifications alone (i.e. to those with no A2 Levels, or only one A2 Level qualification). We welcome evidence of achievements in respect of key skills but candidates will not normally be required to have this qualification. Consequently, those candidates who have not had the opportunity to take a recognised qualification in key skills will not be disadvantaged in terms of their application.

Degree offers

The University considers applications with the following general qualifications alone or in combination with non-standard level 3 qualifications (such as an NVQ 3).

A2 Level/AVCE

The University requires 240 UCAS tariff points inclusive of three passes at grade CCC at A2 Level or in combination with an AVCE.

BTEC Qualifications

Applicants with a 12 unit BTEC National Certificate should achieve DD overall. Those taking the 18 unit National Diploma should achieve MMM overall.

Scottish Highers

240 UCAS points, including at least 4 Highers or Advanced Highers.

Irish Leaving Certificate

Five Irish Highers at honours (C or above).

International Baccalaureate

An overall pass with at least 24 points and providing that a satisfactory level of English has been reached.

Access Courses

A pass in a QAA recognised access course. Some programmes may require merits in all level 3 units.

14-19 Diploma

The University welcomes applications from students with the new Diploma qualification. An overall B is normally required. Where programmes require an A2 Level in a particular subject the grade requirement in the Diploma is likely to be adjusted accordingly. For instance for BSc (Hons) English with American Studies a typical offer is likely to be an overall C in the Diploma and C in A2 Level English. Please check individual programme entries to see whether your chosen programmes require specific A2 Level subjects.

Foundation Degrees, Diplomas of Higher Education and Higher National Diplomas

Generally, applicants will be required to have 120 UCAS tariff points inclusive of at least one A2 Level at C grade or equivalent.

Mature Students

Mature students without the previous qualifications may, in special circumstances, be accepted subject to interview. Please contact the Admissions Manager| for advice.

Non-UK Qualifications

Non-UK qualifications equivalent to A2 Levels, GCSEs and the others mentioned above are accepted by the University. Further information on the equivalence of non-UK qualifications can be obtained from our International Office| or, if you are based overseas, from your local British Council office.

Direct Admission to Year 2 or 3

We will consider applications to the second or third year of degree programmes from suitably qualified applicants. Applicants should normally have passed one or two years of relevant degree level study. Applicants should apply through UCAS indicating which year of entry they wish to be considered for. A transcript from your current/previous study is normally required.

Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL)
Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL)

You may be able to demonstrate learning which has occurred in the past by way of certification or experience. This is particularly useful for mature students, who may have substantial experience and who may have taken short courses or professional training. Under normal circumstances, students may claim up to a maximum of 50% of the total credit points required for an award, usually for learning which has occurred during the previous five years.

APL relies solely on the provision of evidence of learning by way of certification from another university or college. Applicants will need to provide appropriate documentation including certificates and details of the awarding body. This process may enable you to build directly onto your existing learning if you are choosing a programme of study within the same discipline. If you would like to receive further information regarding APL/APEL claims and any fees which may be incurred, please telephone the Administrative Assistant to the Accreditation Officer on 01227 767700.

European Diploma Supplement

Students who have completed their programme of study and become eligible for an award may obtain a supplementary document, called a European Diploma Supplement, which provides information about the award to universities and employers in other European countries.

Telephone: +44 (0)1227 767700 Prospectus: +44 (0)1227 782900
© 2014 Canterbury Christ Church University

Bookmark and Share

Browser does not support script.

Comments about this page?