Research Excellence Framework
The University is committed to delivering high quality research across its range of disciplines. Our submission in 2008 to the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) resulted in the recognition of world-class research in:
And internationally excellent research in:
- Sports Science
- Allied Health Professions including Nursing and Applied Psychology
- Theology and Religious Studies
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
The REF is HEFCE’s tool for assessing the quality of research and research impact, and replaces the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) last conducted in 2008.
The REF 2014 results will be used by HEFCE to determine the allocation of research funding from 2015/16 as well as being used for benchmarking purposes by HEFCE and other university rankings.
CCCU returned submissions to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 in the following Units of Assessment (UoAs).
- UoA 3 - Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy
- UoA 6 - Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science
- UoA 21 - Politics and International Studies
- UoA 25 - EducationUoA 26 - Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism
- UoA 29 - English Language and Literature
- UoA 30 - HistoryUoA 33 - Theology and Religious Studies
- UoA 35 - Music, Drama, Dance and Performing Arts
- UoA 36 - Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management
The University’s submission to REF 2014 shows an increase over RAE 2008 in both the number of staff returned (80 – 153) as well the number of units of assessment (7-10) representing the growth in research activity across established UoAs and new and emerging areas of research excellence.
We will continue to invest in our staff and their research capacity to ensure the research undertaken has a positive impact on policy and practice and social, cultural and economic prosperity.